Thursday, February 27, 2014

An Anchor for My Soul

      This morning I found myself in a situation you think only happens to other people and you pray never happens to you.

      Making my way to work on an ordinary Thursday morning, I was driving along with everyone else who was trying to make it to work by 8:00 a.m. As you can imagine, there were many of us making our way along the 101 freeway thinking of nothing other than routine. As we sped along at average freeway speeds, thinking little of the fact that the roads were slick and slippery from the first big rain we had received the night before, I suddenly noticed that the long line of cars in front of me was coming to a dead stop. I slammed on my brakes and the quick spurt of adrenaline began to rush when I saw cars from the line in front of me swerving into the shoulder to avoid collisions. I realized my car was still moving too quickly to keep from hitting the vehicle in front of me. Before I could even respond to the realization of this imminent collision, my car began gliding in and out of the lane next to me, swerving wildly, yet smoothly as I realized my brakes were locked and I was no longer in control.
    
      My car began to rotate clockwise and I found myself sliding rapidly down the pavement, perpendicular to oncoming traffic and stretched across two lanes. Although it happened in the blink of an eye, from my view it was as if time started moving in slow motion. As I pummeled down the freeway sideways, I found my point of reference for where I had come from and I saw the enormous GMC truck that had been by my side when I lost control, now pummeling towards me. Time stood still when my eyes met the driver's and we exchanged looks of terror as he skidded down the highway trying with all his might to stop. As I watched this truck coming full steam towards me, quickly closing the short four foot gap between us with the army of cars following, it was at that moment with everything around me moving in slow motion that I thought, "This is it...I'm going to die. And if I make it through this, I'm about to be seriously injured," and I began to brace myself for the impact.

      My vehicle continued to spin taking me from sliding perpendicular to gliding down the highway backwards, nose to nose with this truck, to pointed at the center divide soaring across all three lanes of traffic and still stretched across two. As I bounced off the wall stretched along the slow lane, I looked to my left to see what was headed right for me. Again, I saw a fleet of cars panicking and struggling to stop in time; it was like the parting of the Red Sea. Miraculously, no vehicles made contact with me. The first thing out of my mouth when I realized it was over and I was okay was, "Praise the Shepherd!"

      Two police officers who had only caught the tail end of what had just happened pulled me over, which I was thankful for because as the shock and shaking began to set in, I was not ready to be driving again. They were so kind and simply wanted to make sure I was okay. Naturally, as the emotion and gravity of the situation caught up to me, I began to sob. I was definitely going to need to take a mental health day from work.

      Since this morning, I just keep replaying everything in my head and how differently things could have gone. After it was over, it was like I saw a vision of the devil and of Jesus both looking down over me. The enemy thinking that he was about to snatch a precious one away, waiting for what he thought was going to be the sweet taste of victory. But Christ firmly said no, he would not allow the enemy to place a hand on his daughter. "What the enemy intended as evil against me, God meant for good..." Gen. 50:20

      I keep comparing this morning to a similar accident that happened just yesterday on Highway 154, but those involved were not so lucky. One man lost his life on what he thought was just an ordinary day. Who would have thought that he would never get to hold his loved ones again. I am humbled when I think of all the precious people God has allowed to perish, and I cannot help but ask, "Why me? Why did I get so lucky today?" I just cannot fathom. There is no doubt in my mind that I was supernaturally protected by Him and His guardian angels.

      It is surreal to think about this false illusion of control that we so often have on our lives, when in reality, we control nothing; everything can be ripped from us in the blink of an eye. I am overwhelmed and humbled by the reality that this morning, in a second, Nick could have been left without a bride, my parents left without a daughter, my siblings without a sister, and my nieces and nephews with only a faint recollection of who their Auntie Becca was.

      We can all say we place our hope in Christ, but when faced with moments like today, it forces me to understand that necessity. We can be sure of nothing but Christ and we must place our hope in Him and Him only. Nick's hope of a future with me could have been ripped from him today. My parents dreams of who their daughter would grow to be may have been snatched away and kept from coming to fruition.

      I have no idea why I was one of the lucky ones, but I cannot deny the work of God's mercy and protection this morning. Everything could have been gone in an instant and I was standing face to face with this harsh truth only hours ago. It is a reminder to hold those you love close. Treasure those relationships, but place your hope in the only truth we have, Christ.

      Even when storms rage, the wind blows, and evil tries to have victory over us, I will be reminded that, "there's a peace I've come to know, though my heart and flesh may fail. There's an anchor for my soul, I can say it is well. Jesus has overcome, and the grave is overwhelmed. Victory is won, He is risen from the dead." - Chris Tomlin

      My hope is that, had things turned out differently this morning, those that love me could have spoken these words in truth, "There's an anchor for my soul, I can say that it is well."

No comments:

Post a Comment